There's a few flat no-leads packages on this board that pretty much need hot air or reflow assembly. I highly recommend the Segger J-LINK for flashing
the firmware, haven't had much luck with other programmers.
The original manual leaves out a few details on calibration:
- Boot up the module while holding down the scale button. The ticks and beats LEDs will start flashing.
- Press the ticks button to enable calibration of the VEL output (and not NOTE as the manual claims).
- The output will produce a voltage based on the position of the ! potentiometer:
I find it easiest to tune the top and bottom levels separately (! fully (C)CW) through an already-calibrated VCO or voltmeter,
if the output is cycling you'll need a precision oscilloscope.
Tune the lower voltage to exactly 1V, and the upper to exactly 3V. Hold down the ticks button for 2 seconds to save the calibration.
Repeat steps 2 - 5 using the beats button to tune the NOTE output.
Press algo to exit the calibration procedure. All done!
- When CW the output will be close to 1V, and can be fine-tuned using the X potentiometer.
- When CCW the output will be close to 3V, and can be fine-tuned using the Y potentiometer.
- When around 12 o'clock the output will cycle at ~30 Hz between the two previous states.